Re: [squid-users] mapping a reply to a user request

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:26:16 +0100

Bilal Yousuf wrote:

> Hi, I just want to know how squid maps a reply from an origin to the
> original user request.
>
> A users request will have the IP address and port number of Squid as the
> destination address and port and its own IP address and port number as
> the source address and port.
> Squid will need to rewrite these addresses: the source IP address and
> port will be changed to that of Squid. The destination IP address and
> port will be changed to the Origin server's (if object is not in cache).
> Now, when a reply comes back to this request, the Squid will need to map
> it back to the original request and forward it to the correct user. What
> data is used to do this mapping?

  The way you are modeling SQUID is wrong. SQUID is a network
 application. It does not deal with layer 2 issues such as network
 devices or routers would.

 Data are fetched based on an original 'context', a browser
 fetching an http object.
 This context is at all times known to SQUID when fetching the
 object from the remote webserver.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM