[squid-users] IE and authenticating

From: Scott Kern <skern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:56:11 -0500

I've built a proxy server using Red Hat 7.3, SAMBA 2.2.7 and Squid 2.5.STABLE1. I'm authenticating against a Windows Domain group.

My problem is IE 5.5.

When using Netscape and Opera on both a Linux and Windows client, the authentication window pops up and I can authenticate. With IE 5.5, which is our company standard, I don't get the authentication window and I get the access denied page. What's different with IE that I have to work around. Below is part of the access.log file.

1037911603.253 4592 172.19.10.20 TCP_MISS/200 30866 GET http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0789723190.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg skern DIRECT/63.219.179.137 image/jpeg
1037911613.434 463 172.19.10.20 TCP_MISS/200 18504 GET http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbindd.8.html skern DIRECT/63.224.12.173 text/html
1037911752.178 899989 172.19.10.20 TCP_MISS/200 4424 GET http://www.bns1.net/bns/new/b_525100.gif skern DIRECT/209.73.225.9 image/gif
1037911991.805 5 172.19.10.20 TCP_DENIED/407 1741 GET http://www.freebsd.org/ - NONE/- text/html