Re: [squid-users] Redirectors?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:12:57 -0600

chot wrote:

> Hello squid-users,
>
> Are there any redirectors for squid which are compiled for windows
> today?

None that I know of. It was asked here about two weeks ago, and I don't
remember any answers coming forth.

> I know about two that are in perl but i thought a binary would work
> faster.

Not by much, but measurable. The biggest delay in a small perl program,
usually, is the startup time...and redirectors are persistent, so
startup is eliminated. I would try whichever redirector is easiest to
make work, and then if that wasn't fast enough, go a more difficult path.

> I have searched around a lot this far. I have also thought about
> trying to port some unix ansi C to windows C. I just cant make out
> which redirector that will be easiest to port in that case...
>
> At this stage i am wide open for suggestions.

I do occasional hacking of Squirm, and even though my C is quite weak,
I'm able to do whatever I need to do with it in a reasonable time. It
is relatively simple, far simpler than SquidGuard for example, and works
quite fast. I like the perpetual beta version better than the 'stable'
version (but it's been a beta for about 2 years...I think it is an
abandoned project, pretty much--the 'beta' is very solid, in my experience).

Probably worth a look if you do decide to go the compiled redirector route.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.