Re: [squid-users] cache of secure data

From: Ilya <quiz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:56:06 +0600

>> Does squid cache data, when a client requests and
>> communicates over https? Does squid cache data from
>> SSL connection?
>
>No, the SSL encryption is end-to-end, so Squid has no means
>of even
>knowing there is https traffic over that connection. To Squid
>is is all
>just "some kind of unknown data being transferred, looking
>like
>'garbage'".
>
>All Squid knows is that the browser have requested to make a
>full duplex
>TCP tunnel to enable SSL to host X on port Y.

Hm, sa I understood, squid is between client and server when
they establish SSL connection. So can squid, in theory, acts
as "man in the middle", catch all public keys and replace them
on its own and then decrypt all data? Ok, I ask it not because
I`m going to do so, I only want to know wether somebody can do
so :) For example, the developers of squid( it`s joke:) ).

Ilya.