[squid-users] authenticate_program question

From: Mark Orenstein <morenstein@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:08:19 -0500 (EST)

At my school in East Granby, CT, USA, we've been using smb_auth for a couple of
years to authenticate against samba. I have a couple of new questions related
to it.

The first is at an annoyance level. Until recently, all our client PC's have
been W95/98. We just installed several new XP Pro PC's (with SP1 applied).
When IE6 is invoked on an XP Pro PC, the browser security window is displayed.
With the proper credentials being entered, a HTTP 404 page not found message is
displayed. When the user clicks on the "go" button, the page is properly
displayed and for the remainder of the browser interaction, all is ok. Does
anyone have a suggestion?

The second question is related to several administrators with dedicated PC's
not wanting the security window to appear on their PC's. Is there any way to
do this? My impression is that once an authenticate_program directive is
included in the squid.conf file, squid always directs the browser to request
credentials.

Mark Orenstein