[squid-users] Squid and Intel's ICC v7.0 compiler

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:58:59 -0500

A few months ago there was a discussion on this list about building Squid
with Intel's C/C++ compiler, ICC. Though curious about the performance
improvement, I didn't try using it at that time. Since a new version of
the compiler, v7.0, was released last week I decided to give it a try.

(To recap: the Linux version of the compiler is free for non-commercial
use. The Windows version can be downloaded for a 30-day trial period.
Both versions can be found at:
http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/)

It seems that Squid v2.4S7 builds and runs fine with this compiler. I
built it with static linking so to avoid having to have the compiler's
libraries installed on my target machine. I haven't done any
benchmarking yet, but I did want to report that ICC v7.0 seems to be a
useable alternative to the GCC compiler.

FYI.