RE: [squid-users] Re: Server crashes

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:48:22 +1100

> Things to check:
>
> * Your cache.log to see if there is any hints
> * Your system messages file to see if there is any hints
> * TCP/IP SYN backlog size and use
> * Kernel memory usage for network buffers

Also check that you don't have a very large number of half-closed
connections (ie in CLOSE_WAIT or TIME_WAIT.) For some unfathomable
reason, Solaris sets the tcp_time_wait_interval (tcp_close_wait_interval
in Solaris 2.6) to 120 seconds by default. Because squid has lots of
short-lived TCP connections the default causes a huge backlog of
half-closed connections which will slow down all network traffic. I set
it to 60 seconds on some machines (Internet or WAN visible) and 30
seconds on others (LAN only.) I do this in an rc script at startup.

The following command will reduce it to 60 seconds on Solaris 7 upwards:
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval 60000

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.