Re: [squid-users] sslReadServer

From: Anthony M. Rasat <a.m.rasat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:32:32 +0700

Heya Nehal,

You were talking about open proxy which, in your case, letting non-specific network address to access your cache server. Yes, your bandwidth is probably used up by others (this would explains why your users complains about slow access) from internet. Therefore, if you put a specific access list (acl) in squid.conf, those problem may be avoided (I assume you know that your bandwidth is not depleted or no congested connection detected). For example, you can have these lines in squid.conf :

   acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
   acl myusers src 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

and also add

   http_access allow myusers
   http_acess deny all

This configuration will allow connections only from network 192.168.0.0 and deny other. Of course, 192.168.0.0 is my fictional, you can change it with your network address or a specific IP address.

However, this configuration is not fool-proof. As Squid can not verify source of request, spoofing source address can render above configuration useless. In my experience, person that would go through all the hassles of spoofing his/her address just to use others proxy cache server is usually a carder. I suggest that you should employ a DMZ style, spoof-proof firewall to avoid carders using your server.

--
Regards,
Anthony M. Rasat