Re: [squid-users] FTP Browsing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:07:26 +0100

The browser operates very differently when using a proxy or not.

When using a proxy HTTP is used between the browser and the proxy, and
it is the responsibility of the proxy to know how to fetch the requested
URL types. So you have Browser -> HTTP -> Squid -> FTP -> FTP server

When not using a proxy the browser much internally implement all
protocols it is capable of retreiving. Browser -> FTP -> FTP Server.

Squid is a HTTP proxy and as such expects all clients to speak HTTP when
talking to the proxy. Squid knows how to retrieve http://, ftp://,
gopher:// and wais:// URL types.