Re: [squid-users] reporting problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:14:05 +0100

Marc Elsen wrote:

> I presume this was done for performance reasons (extra dns lookups
> perhaps);
> therefore the directive was provided, to have the old behavior ,
> if needed.

log_ip_on_direct is provided to allow for better accounting based on the
Squid access log.

This only changes the address logged in the hierarchy tag, not the
hostname logged in the URL. By logging the IP address used IP based
accounting can be done where traffic to different networks are accounted
differently.

Logging the hostname both in the URL and in the hierarchy tag is
redundant.

Log processing tools that want to process what sites are beeing visited
should look at the URL field of the logs, not the hierarchy tag. The
hierarchy tag tells where the request was forwarded (if forwarded at
all), not which site that was visited.