Re: [squid-users] Custom Squid error pages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:31:00 +0100

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 13.56, Alex Short wrote:
> I'm no lawyer either but two things come to mind
>
> a> I wouldn't consider the error pages to be part of the 'source
> code'

I am not a lawyer. What is expressed in this email is merely my
personal opinion and should not be taken as legal facts or advice.

The Squid developers do consider the error pages shipped with Squid to
be part of the larger work and covered by the GPL license.

The source code of the error pages is the error page files before
beeing translated to HTML by Squid upon detecting an error. The error
pages as returned to the clients is output from the program.

Error pages is input data to Squid.

If a custom error pages is at large based on the Squid error pages
then these will inherit the GPL license requirements and freedoms by
beeing a "derivate work".

If a custom error pages is at large written from scratch mainly based
on the documentation found in the Squid FAQ (or the comments within
the source documenting the error page format) then these will be
separate works on their own and covered by whatever license selected
by the author of this custom error page.