RE: [squid-users] Multiple disk cache

From: Hermann Strassner <hermann.strassner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:32:44 +0100

> I am curious to know what will the consequence if we use this
> config (overly defined dir
> and too less ram - cos I am using the more or less the same config ;->
> without enough hardware support ??
>
> Will it crash the server while run out of disk space to hold all the
> object...?

If you have too less L-1 directories, i don`t really know if Squid put more
than 256 files in one directory or if it uses the cache only partially.

If your cache grows to a size where the indexes do not fit into availabla
RAM Squid gets very slow because of permanent paging.

> Or shall we match the two figures to always have enough ram and
> disk space for the configuration ??

You should always match these two figures.
You can limit the cache according to your available RAM.

Hermann