Re: [squid-users] using squid via a URL?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 30 Nov 2002 09:26:06 +1100

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 05:47, Asif Sadiq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a very lame piece of software that does not recognise proxies. We
> sit behind a squid server, and I need to know if there is any way in which
> I can pass a HTTP url which would connect via the proxy; e.g.
>
> something like: http://squid.server:port/xx?_http://real_url
>
> Is this possible?

Probably not - see below.

> I'm unlclear as to how a browser sends GET requests to
> a proxy, whether they are modified or simply normal GET's.

They are normal gets that include the full URL.
I.e.

====
GET http://www.real.com/foo/bar HTTP/1.0

====

That needs to be sent to the proxy.

You *might* be able to get away with playing DNS /hosts file games.
Create a entry in your PC's hosts file that points to the cache server.
Then the broken software will send the request to the cache, and IF it
includes the full desired URL, this will work. Oh, and you will need
your squid to listen on port 80.

Seriously though, go back to the brain dead softwares vendor and give
them a hard time. HTTP proxy support is *trivial*.

Rob