Re: [squid-users] squid on ext3/reiser...what do you adivce?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 19:21:38 -0600

Robert Collins wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 20:57, Schelstraete Bart wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Does somebody has some experience with Squid on EXT3/Reiser?
> >If I can believe the 'statistics', Reiserfs is a lot faster for
> writing/reading
> >small files. So I suppose that Squid should performe a lot faster on
> Reiserfs.
> >Can somebody confirm that, or am I wrong?
> >(or can you advise another filesystem?)
>

> Joe Cooper's Swell Technology site www.swelltech.com has some
> performance comparisons IIRC. He's concluded that reiserfs is The Way To
> Go on linux.

Interestingly, Duane did some tests a couple months back showing the
opposite (though the difference is small).

I suspect in the case of a CPU bound machine, opposed to a disk I/O
bound machine, ext2 comes out ahead with ext3 and reiser trailing
slightly behind. I do know that ReiserFS is significantly more
demanding on the CPU than ext2, and marginally moreso than ext3. I'll
stick with ReiserFS, though.

A search of the archives will turn up tons of information on this subject.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.