Re: [squid-users] Anything wrong with this?

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:01:45 +0000

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 10:37:17PM -0600, Nick Lomonte wrote:
> Is the following machine too much/too little for our purposes?
> P4 - 1.5ghz, 512mb RAM, 120gb IDE HD. The 120gig HD will be for cache only,
> with a smaller 20g drive for the OS.

I'd go for multiple cache drives - disk seek times are a limit on
performance. You can probably get by without SCSI, but you'd want 2 or 3
IDE drives. Moreover, if you're looking for a cache as large as 120GB,
you'd want a lot more RAM - probably 2GB at least.

> Am I correct in assuming that the larger the cache storage is, the more
> bandwidth it will potentially save?

Beyond a certain point, the hit-rate gains in increasing the cache size
become very small. There are limits on how much content is cacheable, and
how much gets accessed more than once. The rule of thumb I've heard quoted
is to size the cache at around the amount of traffic you see in three days.

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/