Re: [squid-users] Url Blocking and Reporting

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:08:23 +0100

Marcel Hauser wrote:

> Hi all
>
> ok.. i realize that this topic has been discussed a few times, but still i
> don't really have a clue what would be the "best" solution. What are you guys
> using / recommending ?
>
> I need a content/url filter with automatic update function and a webinterface
> to manage it.
>
> i know of:
> - squidGuard (is it still in development / used ?) but no webinterface (there
> is one for webmin but it's very buggy)
> - Dansguardian (no webinterface?!)

 I use SquidGuard, and it works very well for me.
 There's no web interface indeed. It certainly can be used
 in a production environment (=not in development for the current
 release).

> secondly i need a reporting tool (html based) to see how much data has been
> transfered and something like top 10 sites used. Preferably mysql based
> working with both authenticated users and/or just ip's.

 http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/

 Conforming your requirements, several tools will offer or not offer
 what you want, depending on your Internet access policies and
 managerial requirements.

 Often, there is no simple 'this is the best' (Tina Turner) answer.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM