Re: [squid-users] ncsa_auth in my squid proxy

From: Waitman C. Gobble, II <waitman@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Dec 2002 07:03:38 -0800

On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 20:55, joel castillo wrote:
> hi everyone!! Im doing authentication in my squid proxy using ncsa_auth. I
> already compile the ncsa but when Im trying to create passwd in my squid/etc
> path I dont have such a command I go to apache site but I cant find the
> htpasswd to create passwd file, what will I do ??

Hello

You should _probably_ download the apache 1.3.27 source from
http://httpd.apache.org/ and do the following.

tar xzvf apache_1.3.27.ta.gz
cd apache_1.3.27
./configure
make

( _DO NOT_ do a "make install")

su
cp src/support/htpasswd /usr/bin

You can copy it where ever you like, this is only an example.

Ignore the warning about building apache "unconfigured". (We aren't
going to 'install' it.)

Also, I have seen "stand-alone" replacement htpasswd programs before,
you might check http://freshmeat.net. However keep in mind that some of
the encryption routines used in apache's htpasswd are not _standard_ and
possibly incompatible with counterparts.

ref: http://freakinexample.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=28

to create a new password file:

htpasswd -c password_file username

for additional users,

htpasswd password_file username

check the permissions of the password file it creates, it normally sets
perms to 600, which _will_ cause problems if the program trying to
access it (ie squid) runs as "squid" or "nobody" (so you have to chmod
644 or chown the password file before running squid).

Take care,

--
Waitman Gobble         EMK Design     Buena Park, California
http://emkdesign.com   +1.7145222528   waitman@emkdesign.com