[squid-users] Squid memory requirement

From: Anthony M. Rasat <a.m.rasat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:20:54 +0700

Heya all,

Recently I read an old - very old, as the matter of fact - book on installation and configuration of FreeBSD server (it was written by an Indonesian author so telling book's title won't do any good). What interest me is it said one should consider a good amount of dedicated RAM for Squid cache (ported for FreeBSD, of course) is around 1/3 of total physical RAM since the actual RAM usage would be higher than that 1/3 amount. I was fascinated although can not verify whether the author speak out his experience or not. Mentioned Squid version is 2.0 for FreeBSD.

Neglecting the platform, did Squid developers mentioned this matter or I have to assume that author was speaking his experince? I have a box running Squid-2.4.STABLE7 under Linux with 512 MB physical RAM and found best performance was 1/5 of physical RAM (100 MB).

--
Regards,
Anthony M. Rasat