RE: [squid-users] benefits of WCCP ?

From: Nigel Clarke <nigel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:59:22 -0800

>The main weakness of the WCCPv1 protocol in therms of redirection of HTTP
>traffic is security, not functionality for intercepting port 80.

Performance is an issue. The routers have a problem with processing and
redirecting the traffic toward WCCP1 participant. You can try all the
modifications you
want, this protocol does not work faster than WCCP2. I've worked closely
with Cisco engineers on this one.

I had a client that bought a Cisco Content Engine and never had it properly
installed. As a matter of fact they had unplugged it and left it in the
rack. My first assignment was to get the content engine working. I tried
policy routing initially and the engine passed traffic perfectly. I thought
it might be a good idea to later use WCCP. The IOS of the router
(7500 series, CPU never over 30 %) could not support WCCP2. I used WCCP1 and
redirection worked.
The problem was the routers redirection performance. Despite all the
configuration options that were tried, none
of them really improved the performance. Cisco's Cache team was not to much
of a help in this matter.

Their answer was upgrading to WCCP 2 because WCCP1 does not perform the
effectively.

WCCP1s lack of security should be the reason that any administrator should
want to migrate to version 2.