[squid-users] Re: Squid/Transparent mode : external auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 01:27:19 +0100

On Sunday 08 December 2002 20.25, Christophe Caron wrote:
> Hi'
>
> Thanks for your quick reply ! Now we run 2.5.1 wich have some extra
> options as login=PASS on cache_peer .
>
> And do you think it's possible to find a solution with 2 proxys and
> using cache_peer directives like that :

Certainly. This is the sole purpose of the login= cache_peer option.

> The first works in transparent mode, and forward some requests
> (cache_peer_domain directive filter ) to the parent (10.10.10.1)

Ok. So you can't request authentication from your clients then, and
must specify any authentication to be used on forwarded requests in
squid.conf.

> cache_peer 10.10.10.1 parent 3128 3130 no-query login=truc:machin

Looks good.

> cache_peer 10.10.10.1 parent 3128 0 no-query login=PASS

As you say you run a transparent proxy this does not make much sense.

For Squid to be able to pass a client provided user authentication
credentials to the peer the client must be able to provide one, which
requires the client to be configured to use a proxy.