[squid-users] Problems with Squid and webserver authentication

From: Master of Desaster <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:31:59 +0100

Hi!

I've got a problem with authenticating users on webservers through a squid
proxy. One example for this is the Cisco page where you need to log in to
access additional content.
Without the squid proxy my browser prompts for my username and password
everytime. As I don't have a registration there I don't know if I have to
enter this information everytime I access these pages or only if I close my
browser and open it again. But this doesn't matter.
When I first used the proxy and tried to access the Cisco login I got the
password prompt. When I just cancel the dialog because I don't have the
password I get a page with some hints how to register or to recover my
password. That seems to be normal but from now I will never get the password
prompt again but only this page with hints even if I close my browser, clear
the cache and restart the squid.
When I access the login page directly again everything is fine and I get a
password prompt but when I use the squid proxy I only get the error page.
This happens with Internet Explorer and newer versions of Netscape. Netscape
4.x seems to work fine.
Does anybody know what happens here? Is there something I can configure in
the squid config or do I have to modify my browser settings?
I'm using Squid 2.5STABLE1.

Thanks for help!

Michael