RE: [squid-users] Suggestions about content filtering programs...

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:23:19 +1100

The basic problem is that squid does not have hooks for intercepting the
reply, only for intercepting the request. The only filters to my
knowledge that filter content are separate programs that sit in the
chain between your users and the Internet (or whatever,) perhaps in some
hierarchical relationship with squid, but not as a "plugin".

IMAO content filtering is rife with dangers and problems. As a
humourous example (and this story although originating from several
independent sources may be apocryphal,) the Australian Federal Police
implemented such a filter to remove images with a high proportion of
"flesh tones" from incoming data (web and email) only to discover that
not only do some people not have "white" skin but one of the major uses
of attachments to emails was to send each other identikit pictures
which, you guessed it, often contain large amounts of "flesh tones".
:-)

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.