Re: [squid-users] squid proxy engine

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Dec 2002 17:57:32 +0100

Squid does not yet have an equivalence of ProxyPassReverse.

The rproxy patch <http://devel.squid-cache.org/rproxy/> includes support
for Location header rewrites similar to the ProxyPassReverse directive
of Apache, but unfortunately this is one of the areas of the rproxy
patch that is currently deactivated due to conflicts with other
developments in Squid since the patch was originally written.

However, in most accelerator setups it is strongly preferred if the URL
can be passed as-is from the accelerator to the backend server. By doing
this you avoid the whole hairy mess of Location headers or URLs embedded
within the HTML source.

To control where Squid forwards the received requests in such mode there
is two basic methods

 a) /etc/hosts, registering "internal" IP addresses of the servers
hosting the accelerated domains

 b) cache_peer based forwarding, registering your real web servers as
cache peers to Squid, and using cache_peer_access to control which of
the peers the request is forwarded on. This allows you to select server
based on any criterias from the requested URL.

Standard Squid does not either have a concept similar to the
virtualserver concept of Apache. You can set up multiple ports/addresses
where Squid will listen for requests, but all will be threated equal.
This is also an area addressed by the rproxy patch mentioned above.

I do not know the performance of Apache 2 proxy so I cannot give any
comparison between the two in terms of performance.