Re: [squid-users] objects no cached

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:01:07 +0100

See httpCachableReply.

Note that these are not cached for a reason. HTTP specifications
explicitly FORBIDS shared caches to cache private objects or any
caches from caching no-store objects for security reasons.

  private = data private to a single user only
  no-store = sensitive data that must not be stored on disk

The no-cache directive is a little milder but quite special. Also many
web application authors are confused on the no-cache directive (often
due to a earlier HTTP/1.1 specification where the meanings of these
were slightly different) so Squid takes the simple path and deny
caching of such objects. If you touch this directive you SHOULD make
it behave as specified in RFC2616 wrt HTTP header control. (see
section 14.9.1)