Re: [squid-users] Squid SSL error or user error???

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Dec 2002 15:30:24 +0100

tor 2002-12-12 klockan 13.50 skrev alp:
> hi, i am using squid 2.5S1 successfully as ssl-gateway.
> i tried then some of the https_port options:
>
> if i have
> https_port...version=1
> or
> https_port...version=3
> it works.
> but if i use version=2 or version=4, nothing works and i see in cache_log
> the error:
> Error negotiating SSL connection...SSL_3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO: wrong version
> number
>
> is squid only able to use sslv3 or is it my fault?

Use the options= directive instead to control which SSL versions you
(don't) accept. The automatic SSL negotiation method is much more
reliable even if all but a single SSL version is disabled..

For compability reasons most clients sends a SSLv2 hello message,
indicating they can also accept SSLv3 or TLSv1.

A server configured via the version= to only support SSLv3 or TLSv1
won't accept such client hello messages as the hello message is not a
SSLv3 or TLSv1 message, but a server configured in automatic mode with
SSLv2 disabled will.

There is also clients sending SSLv3 or TLSv1 hello messages. These
clients obviously only works with servers supporting the requested
version.