Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD 4.7-Release and squid 2.4 stable 7

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:34:01 +0100

You don't have to reboot after installing squid.
The error messages posted indicate that squid cannot resolve host names.
Upon startup, squid tries to look up several hostnames like microsoft.com
etc (example only).
If it does not succeed, it exits because there is no sense in running a
proxy when you cannot reach any sites.

Short answer :
1. verify that your network connection is up at the time when squid starts
(ping A_KNOWN_IP_ADRESS)
2. verify that you can resolve dns names when squid starts
(ping A_KNOWN_SERVER_NAME)

Yours,
Jakob Curdes