[squid-users] XP clients and NTLM Authentication

From: WTL WTL <wtltest@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:27:54 -0800

Hello,
I have setup squid 2.4.STABLE7 on a RedHat Linux 7.2 machine. Squid has not
been configured as a transparent proxy. We use the smb_auth helper for
authentication. All users who run 95,98,NT or 2000 authenticate correctly.
Users with XP authenticate correctly but after authenticating they receive a
DNS error (Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer) in the
Internet Explorer and ing the access_log a TCP_DENIED messages is logged.
If they then refresh the page everything works correctly and they are not
prompted for their username and password again. Could somebody tell me why
this happens and what I can do to fix it?

I have checked through the mailing list archives and read through the
documentation but I just can’t seem to figure it out.

Thanks
Neil Caughill