RE: [squid-users] Configuring reverse proxy

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:03:28 -0800

1. Squid will round robin a single back-end requested URL to multiple boxes
if DNS resolves more than one IP name for that name. With Squid 2.4 if you
compiled with --disable-internal-dns, you could use the external dnsserver
program and make multiple entries in /etc/hosts for the same name. Squid
will round-robin between these. I think, though I am not sure, that Squid
2.5 eliminates the need to compile this way to support use of /etc/hosts,
but I am not sure. If you are using comfortable using DNS with multiple A
records for the same name, then go ahead and do that instead (it will scale
better anyways).

2. In some very limited cases, Squid can do true load-balancing, but only if
your application server supports ICP as well as HTTP (you effectively make
your app servers nodes part of the cache hierarchy, tricking Squid to behave
as if they were, Squid balances ICP stuff more intelligently than a simple
round-robin); Zope is the only app server I know of that does this.

3. A redirector can act to redirect one front-end URL to other URLs based on
some criteria, like client IP, or URL regex. This is useful to give Squid
the power to support different portions/paths/urls on the same hostname on
multiple, logically separate server pools. It also allows you to avoid
forwarding loops by making the back-end hostname(s) different than the
hostname public/authoritative DNS servers use for your public URL (which, of
course, resolves to your cache's external, public IP). If you need a
redirector that is flexible, and easily modifiable, I would suggest Pyredir,
written in Python with an easy to use configuration file
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/pyredir).

Sean