[squid-users] Re: Permission Denied

From: Rocky <beehive0507@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:44:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

According to Chapter 2 of Squid User Guide, it states
that "For the maximum flexibility in allowing root and
non-root users to manipulate the Squid configuration,
you should make both a new user and two new groups,
specifically for the Squid system, rather than using
the nobody and nogroup IDs.

In Chapter 4, instructions were also given to change
the cache owner by doing :

mkdir /usr/local/squid/cache/
chown squid:squidadm /usr/local/squid/cache/
chmod 770 /usr/local/squid/cache/

and squid.conf's cache_effective_user and
cache_effective_group tags should be set to squid.

Even I have done all these, I still could not execute
"squid -z". I keep getting :
FATAL: Failed to make swap directory
/usr/local/squid/var/cache: (13) Permission denied
Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE1): Terminated
abnormally.

So did I missed out anything ? I can't work on Squid
further if this problem is not solved, I would
appreciate if someone can help. Thank you.