Re: [squid-users] CONNECT & tcp timeouts

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:28:04 +0100

Charles Bruneteau wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I face a "subtle" issue with the way squid (2.2S5 & 2.5S1) handles tcp
> connection timeout with the CONNECT method:
> - 'GET ...' to a down webserver produces a 504 status code
> - 'CONNECT ...' to a down webserver doesn't: once the tcp timeout occured squid
> simply closes the tcp session (FIN) with the client.
> Is there a reason ?

 Don't know, but I think that 5xx, 4xx, etc. are http status codes only
 and are not related to https connections.

> With Internet Explorer, proxy authentication and a proxypac listing several
> proxies for redundancy it generates some issues: IE understand this session
> ending as a signal to use another proxy (as if the proxy was down).
> Some other proxies would generate a 504 or 500 error (NetApp for instance).

  Hm, I would assume that proxy selection is unrelated to a http or
  https site being down.
  I would not like my browser to change proxy, if one site either
  http or https is down.

  Or, proxy selection algorythm, is unrelated to any states
  encountered with http or https connectivity for a specific proxy.

  M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM