Re: [squid-users] squid cache & loop issue

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:14:38 +0100

Brad Holman wrote:

> We are running squid version 2.4.STABLE7 on FreeBSD version 4.6-RELEASE #2.
> I am beginning to see an particularly confusing error in squid. I have
> included an excerpt from the cache.log file for visual assistance.
>
> First thing to look at is on 2002/12/31 14:38:40. It seems to be stuck at
> 100% of "rebuilding the store". It is in this loop for 12 minutes.
> Everything then seems to clear up. However on 2002/12/31 14:53:46 it begins
> "rebuild the store" again, which gets "stuck" in a loop until 2002/12/31
> 16:09:46 and the hard drive is full - taking squid down.
>
> We have attempted to analyze squid's source, and it appears to be getting
> caught in a loop when verifying cache objects while attempting to process
> NEW connections at the same time.
>
> ANY assistance you can give is GREATLY appreciated.

A guess is that your swap.state file got corrupted for some reason. Try
deleting it and then restart squid.

Upgrading to the current "supported" Squid version might also be a good
idea. The current recommended Squid version for production use is
Squid-2.5.STABLE1, preferably patched with relevant patches from the
known bugs section.