Re: [squid-users] squid won't start ("Squid is already running!")

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:17:01 +0100

joost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Joost and I'm new to this mailinglist.. so Hi! :)
>
> I'm running Squid 2.4.STABLE7 for a while now and i got the following error:
> When the computer rebooted squid wouldn't start. It said: "Squid is already
> running! Process ID 296", but squid did NOT run and the PID 296 was 'inetd'
> which was NOT configured to run squid.
> After I kill 'inetd' it is possible to run squid.

 Do not kill 'inetd' it is vital for certain tcp services to keep
 working.

 Check your squid logs directory and remove

    squid.pid

 Presumably some previous condition could have left this file.
 Irregular shutdown of squid e.g.

 Then try to start squid again.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM