[squid-users] Patch Installation Procedure and Weirdness Afterwards

From: Sturgis, Grant <Grant.Sturgis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:01:56 -0700

Thanks Robert for the response.

After ./configure and make, I checked the new binary in the src directory,
it had the correct configure options (--enable-snmp and
--enable-storeio=ufs,aufs,diskd) and I made a note of it's md5sum. After I
ran the make install, the new binary was installed in /usr/local/squid/sbin
but the old binary remained in /usr/local/squid/bin. I was concerned since
RunCache executes the binary in PREFIX/bin, so I copied the one in
PREFIX/sbin to ../bin. Is this a mistake?

Other weirdness that is occurring is that in addition to firing up 32
redirector children (wrapzap - adzapper), squid appears to be firing up 34
'squid' processes. This is according to 'top' and 'ps' (showing squid -NsY)
34 times. Is RunCache getting caught in a loop? Is there a startup log
other than cache.log? Cache.log shows the familiar:

helperOpenServers: Starting 32 'wrapzap' processes

and nothing unusual.

Any direction or suggestion for this situation are most welcome.

Thanks for your consideration.

Grant