Re: [squid-users] ignoring pragma no-cache

From: Alexey Promokhov <ayp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:36:28 +0300

Hello Marc!

05 Jan 2003, Marc Elsen wrote:

>> My chief is participating in some of web-forums. These forums are
>> generating most of our traffic, and they are don't cached due to "Pragma:
>> no-cache" response from server.
[...]

 ME> If a remote webserver issues a no-cache pragma for certain objects,
 ME> then it may we wise to ask first why it want's to do so, before
 ME> risking donating wrong info to squid-end-customers (=mostly browsers).

Web-forums (aka webboards) are inefficient analogs of newsgroups/mailing
lists. Competent people prefers newsgroups. But engineers of our
organization should use these forums, because they are not gated in
Usenet.

They are usualy made with PHP, each page is dynamic, so remote webserver
issues a no-cache pragma. But each page contains a lot of information
(top-level server menus, banners, some javascripts...). So, viewing even
small (<1kb) message forces loading of all this html stuff (up to 50kb in
cases of idiot webmaster, often up to 20kb).

I think that partial careful caching of this stuff can save us a
traffic.

 ME> As stated,as most 'chiefs', they may not always be at the
 ME> right-absolute-true-bending-edge.
I know. Really it's my idea. But chief looks in daily generated proxy
statistic, and see that most of traffic is from these sites. He is agree
that there is a reason to try some optimization.

--
Alexey Promokhov <ayp#ayp.msk.ru>