[squid-users] three questions

From: Pat Lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:59:22 -0500

Hello All,

We currently are using squid-2.4.STABLE7. I just installed
squid-2.5.STABLE1 to our
parent proxy. I am getting ready to install 2.5.STABLE1 to 20 more systems.

Systems are running RedHat kernel 2.2.14-5 and 2.4.18-5. Parent proxy
is using kernel 2.4.9-31

Squid is compiled with options:
--prefix=/usr/local/squid2.5.1
--enable-delay-pools
--enable-snmp
--enable-basic-auth-helpers=LDAP
--enable-basic-auth-helpers=NCSA

I looked at "system dependent weirdness" faq. Should squid be compiled
with --enable-gnuregex?
We have anywhere from 20 to 100 acls in a single squid.conf.

For our parent proxy, we continue to have occassional cpu at 98% for the
squid process. The squid cpu usage goes away within 5 minutes and squid
never needs restarted. This has been an on-going occurrance
regardless of squid version or system. Current system has gig and gig
of disk space, two cpu's and lots of memory. Where should I begin to
research - how squid is configured? cache.log does not log any info
for this problem. I've setup cache manager. The twenty remote
proxies go to parent proxy.

Other concern that is tedious and considered a priority here is that
after upgrading to squid-2.5.STABLE1:
Users type local hostname (e.g. sysadm ) for internal web page to
appear. Web page appears. Web page has link for users to click on and
download a file. Users click on link and get an error.
However, if users type full hostname (sysadm.microcenter.com) then the
web page appears again and they can click on url and download file
without error.
Error is:.

The following error was encountered:

    * *Connection Failed*

The system returned:

/ (111) Connection refused/

With 2.4.STABLE7 we did not have this problem. Users just typed
localhost (sysadm), clicked on link and downloaded file. They did not
have to type sysadm.microcenter.com The old and new config file is
using the append_domain feature. I installed squid to
/usr/local/squid2.5.1 instead of /usr/local/squid (for 2.4.STABLE7).
*** I searched archives yesterday and still have not figured this one
out. Any ideas?
Where do I begin to research this - system wierdness, dns, firewall, other?

Thank you!

-Pat