RE: [squid-users] compiling squid on dev machine, then moving to production machine

From: David Gameau <David.Gameau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:46:31 +1030

> From: Mike Cudmore [mailto:Mike.Cudmore@dft.gsi.gov.uk]
>
> Your suggestion does not always suit production needs.
> For instance, there are good security reasons not to have
> compilers/perl etc on production boxes.
> I understand the need for same os'es and accept that this is necessary
> for the binary that is moved top work properly.
>
> The os'es, architecture are and will be the same.
>
> I also intend to build multiple squids. I don't want to build multiple
> dev boxes then harden them prior to going into production.
>
> Anyone else done this ?

We do this at our site, where Squid is compiled on one machine, and then placed
into a package so we can easily install it any other machine of the same
architecture/OS (both production and development).

David.
__

David Gameau
ISTS - Unix Team
University of South Australia

email: David.Gameau@UniSA.edu.au
phone: +61 8 302 3533
fax: +61 8 302 5800

Disclaimer: "His brain sometimes stops working." - Chiyo, Azumanga Daioh