Re: [squid-users] Squid with SPAM Emails Sent through Public HTTP Mailservers i.e.hotmail etc...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Jan 2003 11:47:57 +0100

fre 2003-01-10 klockan 01.50 skrev Sarkis Gabriel:
> Dear all
>
> at the moment i have noticed if i have all my users online using Squid which
> would be best to save a bit on Bandwidth
> i will have a problem with my ISP in the way of ppl Sending Spam using yahoo
> or hotmail WebAccess, considering
> if any email is reported the Proxy IP address will be reported and not the
> machine the real ip the other person was using .
>
> At the moment every ip address which SPAM is detected gets blocked for a
> periord, so if Proxy gets blocked :) that means
> the machines is dead and cant do anything the ISP Blocks all access to port
> 80 and everything from there end.

You have two things you can do

a) Talk to your ISP and inform him that you are using a proxy on this
address and request that instead of them blocking the IP they inform you
about the abuse and request that you take the proper action.

b) Educate your users to get them to stop spamming others.

Note: Some webmail services include the X-Forwarded-For header in their
SMTP headers, allowing tracing of which user actually sent the email
even behind proxies.