[squid-users] throttling/blocking by user-agent?

From: Dave A King <daking@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:07:36 -0800

I'm trying to track down the cause of an extremely weird problem that seems
to occur most often at universities. I've got a custom client that
communicates via HTTP, currently using wininet on the Windows platform.
Customers have complained about slow transfer rates or complete inability to
connect from 3 different campuses that i know of (John Hopkins, Washington
State, and Northwestern). They can connect to the same URL just fine with
IE or Netscape. No proxy settings are required for them to connect. After
trying everything under the sun to troubleshoot this problem, eventually
there were all sent a build of the client using the exact same user-agent
string that IE6 uses. This fixed the problem

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any transparent proxy server, Squid
or otherwise, that has the ability to filter by user-agent and either
throttle the transfer rate or completely block connections with certain
user-agent strings. If you know of anything, I'd appreciate the
information...

-d-