Re: [squid-users] How to do password forwarding w/cache_peer's login=PASS?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 08:02:20 +1100

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 07:53, Eric W. Wallace wrote:
> I've looked at this before (during the v2.3/2.4 era) and now I'm convinced it's
> possible, I just need to figure out the right way to do it...

You can't do it without hacking squid. Not a lot of work would be needed
though.

The reason?

Well, the cache_peer login command forwards PROXY authentication to the
peer, not WWW authentication. So the web servers won't see WWW
authentication, and will prompt the user to login.

You need to either:
1) Have the web servers check the PROXY authentication header, or
2) Have squid copy the proxy authentication to the WWW authentication
header.

Oh, and this will only work with basic authentication, non ssl. SSL
requests, or digest/ntlm authentication won't work in this fashion.

Cheers,
Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.