Re: [squid-users] for FAQ: diskd on AIX

From: Gerard Eviston <geviston@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:30:27 +1000

IMHO your notes are very helpful.

To help get it into the FAQ I've tried to summarise your comments. Also I
couldn't resist the chance to sneak in one of my own :-). I haven't actually
tested the LDR_CNTRL solution though.

Matthias - have I represented you correctly?

Henrik / FAQ maintainer - can this go in the FAQ?

Regard
Gerard

----
System-Dependant Wierdness
14.9 AIX
"shmat failed" errors with diskd
32-bit processes on AIX 4.2.1 and later are restricted by default to a maximum
of 11 shared memory segments. This restriction can be removed by setting the
environment variable EXTSHM=ON in the script or shell which starts squid.
Core dumps when squid process grows to 256MB
32-bit processes cannot use more than 256MB of stack and data in the default
memory model. To force the loader to use large address space for squid,
either:
 o  set LDR_CNTRL environment variable, eg LDR_CNTRL="MAXDATA=0x80000000"; or
 o  link with -bmaxdata:0x80000000; or
 o  patch the squid binary
See
http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/lrg_prg_support.htm
for more information, including how to patch an already-compiled program.
----