[squid-users] Annoying caching problem

From: <news@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:08:14 +0100

Hi all,

I am using squid 2.4stable3 on a Red Hat 7.1 box and have a rather
annoying problem. I have documents (i.e. pdf or MS office docs) on my
webserver (apache 1.3.27) which are linked to from my web pages. So if
you klick on the link the dialog box pops up asking you to save the file
to disk or view it with i.e. MS Word. So far so good. The problem now is
that squid always delivers these documents out of its cache, even if the
documents have changed on the webserver. Looking at a tcpdump, squid
only asked the webserver once. After that, the document is in the cache
and squid never queries the webserver again, so if I update the document
on the webserver I still get the cached version through my browser.

Now i want to know if this is default behavior. What can I do to make
squid get the copy from the webserver (or at least check for new
versions). I would prefer not having to use the regex match on document
suffixes in squid.conf to tell squid not to cache these dokuments. Can I
somehow include a no-cache in the http header of the reply, when squid
asks for the dokuments? A no-cache pragma in the web page containing the
link to the documents does not help.

Thanks for any hints

Marc