Re: [squid-users] Problem with RAM usage with squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:23:25 +0100

The free ram as reported by top should only be a few MB when a server
has been in use for a while. What is not used by applications should
be used by bufffer/cache.

See the output of free for a better reading of "free" ram.

What to watch is the swap usage. On a Squid server the swap usage
should be low and not increasing.

This said, there has been a number of memory leaks in early Linux-2.4
kernels. Upgrading to a current 2.4 kernel is most likely
recommended.

The most commonly hit issue by Squid useds it that the ipchains
REDIRECT target was utterly broken up to 2.4.18 something. Use the
native Linux-2.4 iptables command instead.