[squid-users] Performance Question

From: John Morgan Salomon <john@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:12:38 +0100

Hi all,

I'm running Squid 2.4.STABLE7 on a FreeBSD 4.7 box.
The proxy should be used by around 1000 Win2k users.
These are mainly students accessing web pages during classes,
or from a couple dozen library terminals and laptops. So no
heavy employees-sitting-at-their-desks-all-the-time-surfing
traffic.

Unfortunately, when I force them to use the Squid proxy, they
have massive slowdowns while logging into their workstations.
It's a Windows issue why they even need the proxy just to log in,
but that's not the real problem. Logins take up to 5 minutes when
I force their Internet Explorer to use the proxy with a Windows group
policy--they're instantaneous without the proxy. The logs give me
no clue.

I'm confused about why the proxy seems to be slowing everyone down
so heavily. Can anyone, based on the following server specs, tell me
whether I should even be seeing these slowdowns? I've left most of the
memory options pretty standard (set cache-mem to 24MB, and set

cache_dir ufs /proxy 40000 16 256 (I have the disk space so why not--I
couldn't find any references as to whether a cache this big is insane or
not.)

The machine is a 1Ghz Xeon III with ~400MB of RAM and 60 gigs of disk
on hardware RAID-5.

Despite all the detail, I'm just hoping for a very general
"yes/no" answer :)

Thanks much,

-John