[squid-users] cache hierarchy

From: Heinz Ahrens <xf01070@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:51:07 +0100 (MET)

Hallo squid-users,

i have got a little question with squid hierachy. I use only parent caches.

In our network we use 3 cache-hirachy:

0. browser
1. squid-cache (user authentication, no caching, squidGuard, acl)
2. websweeper-cache (only parent, no icp, only content-filtering, no
caching)
3. squid-cache (no user authentication, real cache)
4. internet

I get different messages:

a) TIMEOUT_FIRST_PARENT_MISS

Is this a problem ? If Cache 1.) get a TIMOUT from all parents (Cache 2.),
what happens. Cache 1 do not know something about Cache 3.) Is it possible
that Cache 2.) gets a TIMEOUT from Cache 3.) and so the error is send to Cache
1.) ???

b) TCP_MISS/504 1081 POST http://www.gmx.de xf01070
DEFAULT_PARENT/10.65.70.250 text/html

Now i get a lot of 504-errors. But who generates the error ???

- the Cache 1 because of TIMEOUT-definitions in squid.conf ?
- the Cache 2 because he is the DEFAULT PARENT ?
- the Cache 3 because he is the DEFAULT of the DEFAULT ?
- the internet because of the error-code 504 ?

How can i resolve the problem. I only get 504-errors with websweeper as
Cache 2.)

Greetings from Germany

 Heinz Ahrens