Re: [squid-users] why squid not use swap file?

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 14:03:27 +0100

zulkarnain wrote:

> HI,
>
> I've 2GB RAM on my squid box, 4GB swap file and 145GB
> cache dir. The squid use ALL of 2GB RAM,
> I think it would be great if I could use the 4GB swap
> file (it is totaly unused). Is it possible to
> configure squid to use swap file?

 Which version of squid are you using ?
 On which os/platform/version ?

 See the FAQ on SQUID mem. usage versus configured
 cache dir(s), for instance.
 Your cache dir is very large, also your cache_mem
 setting hence your squid will use a lot of memory.

 Normal os-es will prevent use of SWAP unless
 'there is no other way'
 This is good, not bad.

 Meaning that if you want squid to use less memory, then
 you will have to tweak cache_dir and or cache_mem params.

 M.