[squid-users] Re: Record all traffic option?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 05 Feb 2003 11:04:05 +1100

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 10:41, la. w wrote:
> Last time I asked about this I got the impression that I was 'on my
> own' and this functionality wasn't included in a standard squid
> distribution:

Definately not.

> Feel free to shred the design ideas with alternates -- I can either
> justify, ask why, or just go "yeah, what 'they' said" and roll it into
> any future plans/discussions...I'm a firm believer in going for
> quality of design -- though sometimes, I, like others, just settle for
> what barely scrapes by (yeah, I'm part of the global software QA
> problem in that sense -- my expectations have been lowered (*sigh*) ).

Well, first thoughts:

1) if you want to redirect everything coming to from squid, use network
layer interception. It exists, and works. It has issues - but no more
than 100% alteration via squid itself.
2) iCAP is an evolving standard to do inline content alteration within
squid or other such tools - there is a patch for squid to act as an iCAP
client.
3) I've no real idea of what you want to achieve, that tcpdump won't do
for you. Perhaps if you were do describe what you want to *achieve* we
could more accurately critique the design.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.