[squid-users] Re: [SQU] Transparent proxying with spoof'd outbound packets from cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Feb 2003 14:24:32 +0100

You need to

1. Use Linux-2.2 (not 2.4)

2. Hack the kernel to allow non-root applications to bind sockets to
non-local addresses.

3. Modify Squid to bind the socket to the client address prior to making
the connection to the origin server.

4. Make sure that everything is routed via the Squid box in both
directions, and that there is no TCP/IP conflicts between the spoofed
traffic and other routed traffic.

Alternative to 1+2 you might be able to use Linux-2.4 with the
transparent proxy netfilter extension.

Before you even think about doing any of this, carefully consider the
effects on TCP/IP of having the same IP address on multiple stations,
and how you will manage routing and other services in such network. This
is not a trivial thing which should be done lightly as it massively
violates the foundations of TCP/IP networking.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com>
MARA Systems AB