Re: [squid-users] Latency

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:59:25 +0100

"Jason M. Kusar" wrote:

> As a suggesstion, I would say that if you want to have a large list of
> banned sites, you really should use squidguard (http://www.squidguard.org).
> It's far faster and uses squid's built in redirector interface.

Erhmm.. Squid acl checks is darn fast if you use it correctly. But just
as with Squidguard performance will be poor if you build overly large
regex lists where you should be using more focused acl types.

It is true that SquidGuard was a lot faster many years ago when
SquidGuard was first released, but since then the performance of
dstdomain, dst, src, proxy_auth and other "exact match" acl types of
Squid has improved by many orders of magnitude.

But there is three points of favor for SquidGuard:

 a) Ease of configuration.

 b) Good performance URL path matches allowing long lists of matches
deep within sites (i.e. http://www.example.com/some/path/within/site).
For this type of matching squid currently only has regex based ac types.

 c) Advanced redirection capabilities (it is a redirector after all..)