[squid-users] problems with ie 6 and proxy auth on squid

From: Alex Sharaz <A.Sharaz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:32:14 +0000

Hi all,

I've got a small problem with IE 6 and proxy authentication to a squid 2.5
stable1 set of caches.

I should say at this point that mozilla, netscape 6.2/7.0/7.0.1 and phoenix
0.5 all work correctly

Descn:-

I have 4 squid 2.5stable1 caches connected to a foundry serveriron load
balancing box.

All my clients are configured to pick up an auto proxy config file from a
server on our campus which basically says "if the remote URL is on our net
go direct otherwise go via my caches". Access to the caches is via a
virtual IP address set up on the serveriron which then load balances
requests over the real servers.

Our outside world firewall is configured so that direct external access
from client pcs is redirected to a local web page describing how to
configure their browser to use our cache.

Configuring IE 6 to use our squid caches works fine without any form of
proxy authentication. When I configure them to use proxy auth I get the
following problem.

1). configure IE to have a home page outside our class b net.
2). configure client to use proxy service ( either virtual ip on foundry
kit or real web cache address:3128 doesn't matter which)
3). configure client to delete all temp cache files on exit just to view
problem and then exit browser
4). fire up browser
5). fill in authentication dialog box that appears because we are connected
to a cache
6). Web page appears saying ie is unable to connect to remote site "server
or DNS failure"
7). click on refresh button - remote web page appears.

The above had a home page on a remote site just to simplify things. If the
home page is local and you then try and access a remote site the same thing
happens.

The thing is that some clients work fine and some don't ... and I can't see
what the difference is!!

has anyone seen any problems with IE authenticating to a squid cache
before?

any help appreciated

Alex
Sent using Mulberry 3.01a