[squid-users] M$ ASF video format

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:45:00 +1100

I have users who want to watch Australian parliamentary TV which is
accessible via HTTP. They could successfully do this before squid was
installed in December.

The video format is video/x-ms-asf via URLs like:

http://www.aph.gov.au/asfroot/hms8.asx

Neither of these are in squid's mime.conf file. I assume that this is
the reason nothing is happening and users are getting errors in their M$
Media Player to the effect that it can't open the file.

I am using squid 2.5STABLE1 snapshot from 18/11/2002.

Here is a log extract from our test proxy server (inside our firewall -
the parent shown is another squid 2.5 in our DMZ.)

1044927430.262 74 x.x.x.x TCP_MISS/200 5654 GET
http://www.aph.gov.au/live/MPlayer.asp? -
DEFAULT_PARENT/cyclops.comcare.gov.au text/html
1044927430.425 29 x.x.x.x TCP_MISS/200 696 GET
http://www.aph.gov.au/live/Caption.asp? -
DEFAULT_PARENT/cyclops.comcare.gov.au text/html
1044927430.544 88 x.x.x.x TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH_MISS/200 820 GET
http://www.aph.gov.au/asfroot/hms8.asx -
DEFAULT_PARENT/cyclops.comcare.gov.au video/x-ms-asf

At the third line Media Player opens with an error message to the effect
that it can't open the file (I assume the asx file above.)

Can anyone tell me whether I can simply add this to the mime.conf in a
similar way to the other video formats like AVI and MPEG or whether
there is another more fundamental problem with M$ video format.

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680

NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.